This is a concept that has divided many believers unnecessarily. One thing that does happen is that that one must be filled with the Spirit. “Being filled with the Spirit” is a phrase that has been abused and misused by both Charismatics and non-Charismatics. One cannot be “Born Again”, “Born anew, born from above, or be a member of a church unless the Spirit dwells within –
Romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
If the Spirit dwells within, you are filled with Him, if you are filled with Him, you are filled with Christ. Such filling is the basic baptism required for salvation. Salvation cannot take place unless this baptism has taken place. You may have arguments over the function of water in the process, but the form by which you follow the Lord in obedience to water baptism does not affect God’s act of salvation.
- 1 Corinthians 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body,
- Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
- Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
- Romans 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
- Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water;
but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose:
he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: